Consular Services

FAQ on Problems faced by Indian Migrants Abroad

My visa expired and my employer is not renewing my visa and hence I am staying illegally in a foreign country. I want to return back to India. Please help me.

You can approach the Embassy of India for assistance.

My employer is insisting that I deposit my passport with him. What should I do?

Please lodge a complaint on eMigrate and then contact the Indian Embassy for further assistance.

My employer has taken my passport and now I cannot return back to India. What should I do?

You can lodge a complaint against the Foreign Employer in eMigrate system or call up OWRC on 1800 11 3090 for further assistance.

My employer is forcing me to do physical labour where as I was hired to come here as a skilled worker. What should I do?

You can lodge a complaint against the Foreign Employer in eMigrate system or call up OWRC on 1800 11 3090 for further assistance.

My visa & contract have been cancelled by the employer, what should I do?

You can lodge a complaint against the Foreign Employer in eMigrate system or call up OWRC on 1800 11 3090 for further assistance.

I want to lodge a complaint against a Foreign Employer (FE). What are the steps to be followed?

The complaint can be registered on the online portal of the ministry eMigrate or sent to the Protector General of Emigrants, MOIA along with details for taking necessary action.

Is there a walk in counseling/ Information centre or Call Centre abroad where I can discuss my doubts?

The Ministry operates an Indian Workers Resource Centre (IWRC) at Dubai for the benefit of Indian workers in UAE. IWRC operates round the clock 365 days a year to provide information to Indian workers in distress who can call the toll free help line (800 46342). You can also register your complaints and grievances through the website of IWRC viz., or email to them through help[at]iwrcuae[dot]in. IWRC is located at 15L, Silver Tower, Cluster-I, Jumeirah Lakes Towers, PO Box-62494, Dubai (UAE).

What is the Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana scheme?

On the occasion of the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas in 2003, the compulsory Insurance Scheme for the emigrants going abroad for employment was announced. The Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY), 2003 was upgraded in 2006 and was further modified in 2008 to provide broader coverage to the emigrant workers reducing the premium rates from the Rs. 450/- to Rs. 275 & Rs. 375 for 2 and 3 years policy period respectively. The emigrant workers get a minimum insurance cover of Rs. 10 lakhs (instead of Rs. 5 lakhs) and the policy is for the entire period of employment contract of 2/3 years respectively. The reduced premium along with other benefits has been made effective from 01.04.08. Coverage and benefits under the PBBY Policy 2008 are as under:

  • Maximum sum for which insured under the PBBY: Rs.10.00 lakhs
  • Hospitalization (Medical Expenses) covering injuries / sickness / ailment / diseases: Rs. Rs.75,000/-
  • Repatriation covers for medically unfit: Actual one-way economy class air fare.
  • Family Hospitalization in India: Rs. 50,000/-
  • Maternity: Rs. 25,000/-
  • Attendant: Actual One way economy class air fare.
  • Legal expenses: Rs. 30,000/-

Further details about the scheme could be obtained from any of the insurance companies whose details are as uploaded on the eMigrate portal :Frequently asked questions(56 KB)

Please tell me about the MGPSY scheme?

Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs has introduced a Pension and Life Insurance fund scheme called Mahatma Gandhi Pravasi Suraksha Yojana (MGPSY) for the Overseas Indian workers having Emigration Check Required (ECR) passports.

The objective of MGPSY is to encourage and enable the overseas Indian workers by giving government contribution to:

  • Save for their Return and Resettlement (R&R)
  • Save for their old age,
  • Obtain a Life Insurance cover against natural death during the period of coverage.

The government contribution available under the MGPSY is for a period of five years or till the return of subscribed worker back to India, whichever is earlier.

The main attractions of MGPSY are:

Government contribution of Rs.1,000 per annum in line with Swavalamban platform for all MGPSY subscriber who save between Rs.1,000 and Rs.12,000 per year in NPS-Lite.

  • An additional government contribution of Rs.1,000 per annum by MOIA for the overseas Indian women workers who save between Rs.1,000 to Rs.12,000 per year in NPS-Lite.
  • A special government contribution of Rs.900 by MOIA towards Return and Resettlement (R&R) of the overseas Indian workers who save Rs.4,000 or more per annum.

The detailed enrollment procedure can be found at Frequently asked questions(257 KB)

I am all set to go for a job abroad. Does MOIA have any country specific manual?

Ministry of Overseas Indian Affairs has posted country manuals on its website for the GCC countries namely, UAE, Bahrain, Oman, Kuwait, Qatar, KSA and Malaysia. These manuals contain general information as well as specific information and data about the relevant destination countries. Details of the country manuals can be seen at