Consular, Passport and Visa Division

No Obligation to Return to India (NORI) Certificate

Q: How & where to apply for NORI and what are the required documents?

As per the Immigration laws of the United States of America, for all J-1 visa holders, 2 years of home (India) residency is mandatory. While applying for a H1B visa, J-1 visa holders are required to submit to the US authorities a NORI Certificate waiving the condition of the two-year stay back in India. The applicants who require such a J1-waiver need to apply for a NORI Certificate to the Indian Missions/Posts concerned in USA. Those who have returned to India may apply for this Certificate at the CPV Division, Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi. The applicants staying in a third country are required to apply at the Indian Mission/Post concerned. Please visit the relevant information.