Spokesperson's Office Spokesperson's Office

Facilitation of Foreign Media

Visa for Journalists

All Foreign journalists travelling to India for any purpose are required to obtain a 'J' (Journalist) visa, including those who are visiting for tourism or for attending conferences. They should approach the nearest Indian Mission for obtaining the visa and other travel documents.

Foreign journalists including interns / trainees coming to India to work in Indian media organizations require 'E' (Employment) visa, which are governed by specific rules as per the Visa Manual.

Extension of visa for foreign Journalists

External Publicity (XP) Division can endorse an application for extension of visa for bonafide journalists (who arrive on a short term visa visualized at point I above), based on which the Foreigners Regional Registration Officer (FRRO), Ministry of Home Affairs, extends the visa.

Journalists seeking extension of visa are required to report to XP Division, Ministry of External Affairs on arrival and submit an application on a plain paper (for the journalist and family members), with supporting letter of employment/assignment from the parent organization, residential proof, valid passport (with previous visa stamp), copy of PIB accreditation card, copies of recent publications, one photograph each of self and family members and other required supporting document to :

Under Secretary (Press Relations)
XP Division, Ministry of External Affairs,
Room 138, A-Wing, Shastri Bhawan,
Dr. Rajendra Prasad Road,
New Delhi- 110001

Clearances for visiting restricted/protected areas

Foreign journalists wishing to travel to restricted or protected areas have to simultaneously apply to Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), Foreigners Division (located at Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium, 1st Floor, Heritage Building Near India Gate Circle, New Delhi) in the prescribed format and to XP Division on plain paper for permission. The permission is given by MHA in consultation with XP Division.

(Following link at MHA website may be referred for information regarding Protected Area Permission/Restricted Area Permission https://mha.gov.in/PDF_Other/AnnexIII_01022018.pdfabc.pdf (18 KB) )

Orientation Programme for Foreign Journalists

XP Division organizes periodic orientation programmes for Foreign Journalists based in India, during which information about governmental setup, visa, regulatory requirements and other inputs are made available. Journalists on first arrival are advised to contact OSD(PR), XP Division for registering themselves for the said programme. They would be informed of the date and venue of the programme as and when such programmes are organized.