Consular, Passport and Visa Division

Birth Certificate

Q: We are a couple with Indian passports. We have a child born to us in a foreign country. How do we get Indian citizenship for the child and an Indian passport for him/her?

In order to get Indian citizenship for a child born to Indian parent(s) in a foreign country, the birth of the child is to be registered at the nearest Indian Embassy/Consulate and thereafter (or at the same time) the parents can apply for issue of an Indian passport for the child. For more information, kindly contact Indian Embassy/Consulate in your jurisdiction or visit their website.

Q: Can Mission/Post attest the Birth Certificate issued by the authorities in India?

Yes, provided the birth certificate issued by the competent authorities has been authenticated by the Home Department of the concerned State/Union Territory in India and then by the Attestation Section of the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA), New Delhi or the MEA Branch Secretariats in Chennai, Hyderabad, Kolkata and Guwahati.